2.28.2013

Blueberry Birthday Pie


On February 22, 2000, he made his much anticipated entrance into this world. He was beautiful, round, robust. Our little "chunky monkey."

The birth. Terrifying. Unbeknownst to us, he had a true knot in his cord. What I had planned as the perfect natural birth ended up being one of the most intense moments of my life. I thought he was going to die. And when I looked at his father, his face ghostly white, I knew he thought the same.

But he survived, and thrived, and has become an amazing young man.  He turned 13 last Friday. THIRTEEN! I just vomited a little.

For my kids birthdays they get their favorite foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And this sweet precious boy's love language is food. Food.

I speak food.

As I was prepping and cooking his special requests, he came into the kitchen and said, "Oh this kitchen, it always smells so good. They need to make a candle and call the scent, 'Jana's Kitchen'."

My sweet boy. Anything is yours. Name it.

And he did. Blueberry Birthday Pie. Two of them. His request.

Done. Happily.

This was my new recipe for Saturday, my weekly challenge. And this week it was created for the love of a sweet boy who is now my "man-boy."

This recipe makes two pies. Trust me you will want two. And if that is too much for you, divide the recipe or go ahead and make two. Give one to your neighbor. Watch them smile!

Gluten Free Pie Crust

3 cups blanched almond flour

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 cup applesauce
4 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


  1. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
  2. In a small bowl, combine applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.
  3. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
  4. Pat dough into two 9 inch pie pan.
  5. Bake at 325° for 10 to 15 minutes.
  6. Pie Filling

    8 cups frozen blueberries
    2 pints fresh blueberries
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    6 Tablespoons of Arrowroot dissolved in 4 Tablespoons of water
    2  9 inch fully cooked pie crusts

    Directions:

    1. Combine 8 cups frozen berries with maple syrup, lemon, and arrowroot mixture in a stainless steel saucepan. 

    1. Heat over medium until the mixture is bubbling, and the berries start to burst. 

    2. Stir for about 5 minutes, until filling has thickened. (It will continue to thicken as it cools).
    3. Pour filling into pie-shells. 
    4. Top with remaining pint of berries. Press them in a little so they won't roll around.
    5. Let cool thoroughly, or chill, as desired.
    6. Eat up.




4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am learning to cook raw and I want to keep our table fun and delicious. My teenager isn't too excited so I still cook some of her favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! Let me know what you think if you make it>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this. It turned out great! I added 4T maple syrup to the blueberries because I did't see an amount listed under the filling section. Not sure if that was accurate but it tasted great. Thank you for such a delicious and healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, I didn't put the amount of maple syrup there but your measurement sounds great! And if it tasted good then that's what counts. Glad you liked it. It is a favorite in our home. I will have some more healthy yummies up soon. I have been busy in the garden and canning so it has been hard to sit and put things in the computer. Soon!

      Delete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS